Tokyo still has a handful of areas where you can experience an older vibe, such as Fukagawa which covers 2 neighborhoods: Kiyosumi-shirakawa and Monzen-nakamachi. Situated along the Tokyo Bay, this area developed as a logistics hub and became home to merchants and common folks during the Edo period, and until this day possesses many historical characteristics. It is a working-class neighborhood with a friendly atmosphere. Yanaka and Asakusa are also known as old parts of Tokyo however Fukagawa is far more low-key, although it is slowly gaining more attention. Nevertheless, Fukagawa has somehow managed to escape the tourist invasion despite there being loads to see and do. For instance, you can experience local festivals, sumo stables, museums, picturesque gardens, trendy coffee shops, antique markets, craft wine, specialty food, and boutique stores. It is also a secret spot for viewing cherry blossom and has plenty of gastropubs located on Izakaya Street.
This tour is aimed at those who want to travel back in time to feel and see the Edo spirit which lives on in Fukagawa’s charming and cheery community. You will be fascinated by the history of this unique neighborhood. The highlights of this tour include:
- Peaceful Cherry Blossom viewing. *
- Sampling Japanese craft wine at a local winery (if you are an oenophile)
- Feasting on local, speciality food!
- Exploring famous temples and shrines：Visit the trippy prayer corridor with 10000 miniature crystal statues of buddha and see Goma(fire ritual)
- Relaxing inside a beautiful, Japanese garden with a large pond.
- Stepping back in time inside the Edo Museum.
- Hunting for bargains at the antique market. *
- Partying at festival and street fairs. *
*Entrance fee for museum and garden, food and drink are excluded on this tour.
Recommended dates for the experiences
July: 1st, 8th, 22nd, 29th
August: 5th, 26th
September: 2nd, 9th, 23rd, 30th
Japanese street fair
1st, 15th, 28th of each month
Mar 24th to April 11th
Big summer festival
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- A full refund will be provided within 7 days (Japan Standard Time) prior to your booking.
- A 50% refund will be provided within 6-3 days (Japan Standard Time) prior to your booking.
- No refund will be provided if you fail to turn up on the day of the experience or if you cancel within 2 days (Japan Standard Time).